We crossed over the Menai Strait to the Isle of Anglesey or Mon, in Welsh. We stopped to look back at the mainland where we could see the Snowdonia mountain range and the Menai Bridge, which when built in 1812 was the world’s longest suspension bridge .
We then went to Beaumaris Castle, another Edward I castle built after the conquest of Wales. It was never finished because Edward decided he needed to divert money to fighting the Scots.
From there we went to the furthest east point on the island, Penmon, to an area noted for an early 400 AD monk named Seriol who converted the area to Christianity and eventually the site of a 14th century monastery, later destroyed during Henry VIII’s reign.
The property also contains one of the largest dovecotes, which was built in the Victorian era:
And a holy well of St Seriol (with 19th century additions):
From there we went to the furthest west light house.
Nearby we went to look at a Neolithic burial chamber. The 25 ton top was moved without metal tools.
Then to a 400 AD era Celtic settlement that showed signs of the influence of Roman occupation. The Celtic people lived in circular huts from 1000 BC, but these show insulation which they learned from Roman building in the area.
From the area, we could see the Isle of Mann, the faintly bluish mountains on the horizon.
We then drove across to the most western point of the island, also the most western settlement of the Roman Empire, where you could see an Ancient Roman wall.
The site was also for the church related to St Gybi or Kybi or Cybi, a western most proselytizing monk. His presence is why the area is called Holy Head.
Then on to the most westerly point on the island, called South Stacks:
Which is near some 3000 year old Celtic stone huts:
The stones would have had a rather complicated wooden structure creating a dome over the stones to form the huts for living.
The Holyhead port ships go to Dublin carrying 85 percent of imports into that country.
Dinner was at the local restaurant that serves local mussels, which we had seen farmed in the area around Anglesey.